We are fast-forwarding into the end of March 2022 and I have zero results to show.
At the end of 2021, I sat down with our team and promised I would single-handedly grow Centis to 10,000 customers by the end of 2022.
Well, it’s been three months since January and here are the results:
Zero new customers.
To justify me, I was preoccupied with other stuff, but this is just an excuse. Anyway, after some “housecleaning” I am back in the game and here is what I have “achieved” so far:
Twitter: I cleaned up my personal Twitter profile: from following 1800 people, I went down to 834 people, and 830 people follow me. If you asked me how I did that, I used a tool called PowerTwitter (the free version, although the pro wouldn’t hurt). So I unfollowed 50 people each day (I could have to done this in a day, but then I wasn’t ready for the content I was preparing).
Content planning: As stated above, I also used this time to check influential people in the entrepreneurial life in Europe (we decided to focus on Europe for now due to the time difference in the UK). This helps me understand what topics they discuss, what kind of people follow them and the content they produce.
Facebook groups: I stopped answering questions on Facebook groups. People were asking me what I do for a living and wanted to connect to sell me services. It still amazes how lazy people are – it takes literally one click to see the other person’s profile. Huge waste of time,, very little visibility for a month’s worth of answering questions.
“Growth Hacking”: this was a favourite subject of mine 5 years back but it is still a way to grow your audience fast. I had to spend time (ok, I prefer “invest: rather than ”spend”, but whatever) to learn
- What I want to achieve with growth hacking:
- What tools will help me achieve what I want to achieve 🙂
If you are wondering what I am trying to achieve so as to get ideas, here are my goals:
My Goal: I need to put more people in the “Just My Two Cents” newsletter (at this stage, I am not sure if I will keep this title. I had the idea as it rhymes with centis = cents = just my two cents (get it? No? Bloody hell, why not?)
How will I achieve that?
- Advertising: I do not wish to spend a fortune on ads, as our target market aren’t Russian billionaires with money to burn. So I need to figure out creative easy to lower the cost of Facebook ads. One way is with custom audiences, retargeting and 1% lookalike audiences. Adroll and sponsorship newsletters is another.
- Cold emailing: scape Facebook groups, Linkedin groups and Yellow Pages and get emails. This is a numbers game. The more you email, someone will have the courtesy to email you back and maybe sign up to the newsletter.
- Dominate ONLY ONE medium and grow from there: I have realised that writing content on the blog, plus creating the social feed for Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn takes too much time (I have actually wasted a few Sundays to come up with, write and plan content). Yes, it brought us some traffic but it wasn’t worthwhile, mainly because the existing network of followers is completely unqualified (they come from the previous industry we were active in).
So I have been reading that Twitter has a comeback, and I decided to simply double down on Twitter. As stated before, I intend to dominate and “own” this platform so when I gain traction to move to another platform.
This is a great lesson by the way, for which I wrote about here. Do not do many things at once, focus only on the ones you think that matter (yes, finding out which things matter take some time, but wouldn’t you rather find out rather than do hundreds of stuff and fail at all?)
So for April the goals are:
- Create four more blog posts around a topic.
- Promote these on all channels (I use a service called Missinglettr which drips this throughout the year)
- Use Hyperfury (my Twitter tool of choice) to post content both on my social profile and also on Centis’ profile. The good news is that it can also post on Facebook profile and Instagram
- Find people with large followings and use my strategy from this post to create some traction
- Also, I will try to advertise my posts in the majority of EU countries with the objective of increasing my followers.
- Create a funnel on Twitter so that people who show interest to be redirected to Centis and check us out.
20th April Update:
I am now a bit obsessed with Twitter, to be honest – and didn’t expect that.
What I have done so far:
- I identified my targets, the people I want to go after their followers, i.e. Richard Branson as you all know owns several businesses, went to space, and is an example of o a successful business person. Chances are that he is followed by millions of people who seek inspiration. Targets include not only business people but also organisations that deal with entrepreneurship, startups and funding.
- Created three Twitter lists “VIP Entrepreneurs” ,”Companies” and “Journalists” and added each target to a corresponding list
- Then I run Hyperfury. As mentioned above this tool does way mor than sheduling, it also provides templates that you can wrtie on, popular tweets from others and also provided follow up tweets with a link for people to signup to my newsletter. I scheduled a month’s content (it took me an entire day to do so) and let it run.
Here are the live stats from Hyperfury from my personal acocunt:
4. I noticed (obviously) that each time I mention someone, apart of a public “thank you” I get some extra eyeballs. It is too early to see any traction yet.
5. Last month, I only updated my feed with fresh content, did nothing of the above – I only added hashtags and I saw minor results. This time, what I am doing is following my target lists’ followers in an effort to reach 5,000 followers in a couple of months.
Here is the caveat – unless I engage with them, I am just another guy who is posting content. My goal over the next few days is to find a system to send an automatic Direct Message to anyone hwo follows me back, to say thank you, ask them to subscirbe to my newsletter and then:
Find their data (name, email)
Connect with them on Facebook
Connect with them on LinkedIn
Start an engagement & relationship building via email.
I will share in a different post how this will happen:-)
You can optionally subscribe to Centis’ “Just My Two Cents” newsletter below:-)